SPLATOON PSP: CANCELLED PROJECT
Questions you may ask if you entered this page:
Question: What the hell is a Splatoon?
Splatoon is a shooter franchise created by Nintendo originally in 2015 for the Wii U system. The franchise currently has 3 games (Splatoon for Wii U, released in 2015, Splatoon 2 for Nintendo Switch, released in 2017, and Splatoon 3, released on 2022).
Question: Alright, but how and why did you come up with this project?
I am a really fan of Splatoon, I consider it a very good franchise. I played all games but it wasn't enough for me to have it on Nintendo devices only. I wanted this Nintendo exclusive to be in many more devices, like the Xbox 360 or even the PSP. Since there was no fan game related to Splatoon for such systems, I started working on my own Splatoon game for the PSP.
Splatoon PSP's trivia
- Splatoon PSP was known internally as "Inkling girl" due to the main character being an orange inkling girl.
- The game would have took place on Splatsville.
- Splatoon PSP was being developed with a basic game engine named "Game Maker 8.1 Pro".
- Splatoon PSP was cancelled due to problems with sounds non present on the PSP builds, as well as perfomance problems. In PC, the game was running at 30 fps, meanwhile the PSP version was very bad optimized.
- Splatoon PSP's ID while exporting was "69420", meanwhile previous versions to the alpha had the default 00000 ID.
- This game was not compatible for use on emulation through the PS Vita, although it was compatible with the PPSSPP emulator.
- A PC version of Splatoon PSP with a 800x600 resultion would have been developed after Splatoon PSP's release, but due to it's cancellation, the game was never developed.
- In one of the houses in Splatsville, there is a smiley face which will redirect you to a empty room with a black and red radio. If you touch it, an 8 bit version of the Portal's radio song (a remixed version of Still Alive) would play in the background. This was a little easter egg I wanted to add because I also like the Portal franchise.